Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Flavors of the world...

Stuck home with sicklings until a sitter willing to tend to my harbingers for disease appeared, I got to watch Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern for a bit this morning. He didn't get around to much eating of tarantulas or fermented fridge rot, and other than a fairly disturbing scene where there were helpers trying to squeeze him into leather pants for an olive oil basted wrestling match, it was a pretty sweet show.

He wandered Turkey, and who knew there was such thing as a whistling language for people to communicate across a gorge, a giant ant-farm of underground cities, and whirling dervishes who were once banned danced. Dreams of wandering the globe and experiencing these things have long been discarded, so it is nice when it is delivered vicariously via cable. Except for the food, some of it looks tasty, some of it... hmm, I don't think I'm as brave as Andrew Zimmern.

Reminded me that we do get actual tastes of global culture here in the form of performances at the auditorium. After passing the poster at the store, it seems there is a good one happening tonight. I checked them out on youtube: Baka Beyond. Although I prefer the African sound to the Celtic sound, looks like it will be a good show. Makes me wonder if someone is cooking up some traditional Camaroon foods to round off the experience. Probably not, but that would be a plus.

So I guess if the polls allow escapement before 7, head over to the high school auditorium tonight to become culturally enhanced. What do Forest Pygmy's eat anyway?

No comments: