Friday, November 14, 2008

Moon rises and pizza pies.

Ish and I are on the same wavelength today, as far as spectacular moonrises go. The stunning orange orb has greeted me homebound the past few days, and it is hard to keep your eyes off of it and pay attention to the road. I appreciated his full-moon cloud erradication theory as well. It seems like eastern philosopy - if you can't see it, is it really there?

One thing I do notice on full moon nights is the amplification of spaz-like behavior in children. It takes the extra hour of convincing that one more page of homework certainly won't kill them. S.O. on the other hand... needless to say, the homework was done.

There is something special about winter in Kodiak and clear crisp nights when the stars are vivid against the backdrop of the universe. Craning my neck to the sky I still scan for the few constellations pointed out to me as a child, my favorites: Orion, and the Big Dipper. I remember laying out on the front lawn in snowsuits noting that the constellations moved, and Orion seemed to be chasing something, but what? It is no wonder Benny picked that particular constellation for the Alaska flag, it seems to jump out at you from any angle on the horizon of our northern nights. Now I'm getting all sentimental for winter and Thanksgiving, turkey
(Whatever happened to KVOK's Turkey Shoot? That was a fun contest to listen to. ) and Marshmallow Yam-tastic. MMM... Yams.

Speaking of food, I noticed the new pizza place up and running, the menu looks pretty tasty, but definitely not budget friendly - especially for delivery. $50 minimum order, manditory 15% gratuity, plus a manditory ten spot for the driver. I'm a generous tipper normally, but it kind of leaves a weird taste in my mouth when it is demanded. Not that I wouldn't pay it, or they don't deserve it necessarily, it is the principal of the thing. We'll probably be getting our family pizza night from Big Al's, or the freezer at Safeway anyway, and save the gourmet experience for an anniversary or birthday. I'm sure it is wonderful food.

And now my stomach is growling.

2 comments:

kodiakgriff said...

Ahh the moon, the moon..... ask any cop, E.R. worker, or Taxi driver what nights they dread the most? Yup the full moon. As for me, this time of year I love fox hunting on those brilliant evenings. Ice fishing, or just sitting outside by a fire are close seconds.
The Trattoria is a little pricey, but it sho'is good!
The delivery rates are a little different than you interpreted.
The townies get a 30.00 dollar minimum and no mandatory tip. As for the rest of us, it is a 50.00 min with a 15% mandatory tip UP TO 10.00. Seeing how delivery drivers use their own rigs, I think its kinda cool the owner looks out for them a little bit.
So basically for $60.00 I can get some kick butt pizza and appetizers delivered to the homestead. Not really any worse than a night at any other eatery in town.
Peace

devilsclub said...

Makes more sense that way... I have mastered the art of misinformation. They must have given me the boonies flyer.