Wednesday, October 1, 2008

How the heck did it get to be October?

With the Wal-Mart seasonal shelves stashed with all sorts of interesting animatrons with light sensors and buttons that just beg to be triggered, I always feel the initial impending doom of autumn. I then am somewhat comforted by the fact that there still is time - because they show up the day after last-minute school shopping. (It must be hell for the employees having to listen to the moans and groans and screams all day.)

About midway through the month, besides my baseline aversion to candy corn, I'm already over the halloween hoopla, having to wander down that aisle each visit and listen to my beloved Eye-Wants tag everything like some bizzare-ly choreographed industrial music. It would make a good horror movie soundtrack, I'm sure - scares me just thinking S.O. might actually buy something. The way the Eye-Wants are with the fun of repetitive noises, the batteries would somehow just mysteriously "die", while they were sleeping, and "I just don't know why that keeps happening." (I have a secret noisy toy silencing kit, shhh.)

So now it really is October, an eyeblink away from snow and frozen windshields. I really wish I'd invested in an autostart button on my ride... that way I can sit in the toasty alcove sipping coffee and watching the defrost take all of the work out of chipping a small driving window out of the glaze. Oh well, back to bulky jackets and windbit ears... slushy feet and stinging sleet. If Wal-Mart can start worring us about things so early, I might as well give in too.

3 comments:

Fireweed said...

Are you kidding? The best part about Halloween is scaring the crap out of little kids. The one time in the year for payback for all the suffering we endure on their behalf. Buy some fake body parts, put them in their bed, and enjoy!!

devilsclub said...

Was more bah humbugging at commercial holidays. Not that I don't enjoy halloween, it is more tha as soon as it gets close to halloween, all the thanksgiving and christmas stuff will be at the store. Procrastinator at heart, I don't want to even see things until the actual season is upon us. :)

I'll send my kid to your house with the screaming doorknocker, after an hour or two, you'd understand.

Fireweed said...

HA HA my kid is the 'screaming doorknocker'! Actually, I continue to ignore the other holidays, and just focus on my favorites, Halloween and MY birthday! But I do feel your pain.