Friday, August 29, 2008

A fascinating turn of events, maybe politics are interesting after all

A little late on the commentary here, but work called and I had to make my rounds. Dang job interfering with my new-found blogging addiction.

People who know me, know me as an apathetic conservative liberal. Politics typically bore me to tears while listening to empty promises and puppets delivering unnamed speech writer's words. The often meaningless banter reminds me of eighth grade class president elections as seen on TV, promising free ice cream and longer recesses. (Our particular class in Kodiak was the epitome of disenfranchised youth, and therefore, the one kid who actually wanted the job, got it unopposed.)

An then we top it off with America's (and my own) obsession with reality TV, and media overkill - which leads to intensified negative campaigning and unnecessary closet skeleton extractions. I really don't care if as a teenager a candidate acted like a teenager, and I don't believe it is necessarily anyone's business viewing a public personality's personal dirty laundry any more than it is acceptable for paparazzi to snap pictures of Lindsay Lohan's crotch.

It all gets to be a bit much, information overload-wise, and it is difficult to find the true focus in our delusional quest for utopia. So normally, I choose to take off my glasses and live with the blur.

Today was interesting though, a seemingly brilliant chess move for the republican party with the choice of hot Sarah as running mate. To say the least, I am impressed. Regardless her lack of experience in foreign relations and blah blah blah investigation... it really was a great choice, especially to woo the Hillary supporters that were truly hoping to put a woman in office.

It is a breakthrough election in regards to prejudice, sexism and stereotypes. A novelty our parents would have never seen happen. This gives me hope for the daughter that she truly will be able to rise to whatever limit she desires without having to ride the shirttails of her future husband's career. Refreshing that we have entered into such a state of political correctness, that that diversity has become a prequalification.

My only curiosity as of now, with the splashes of family photos and campaign stills rolling all over the network news.... where's the littlest one? I suppose they wouldn't want to exploit the 'parents of a special-needs-child' factor, but it is a little odd that they have not included even a blanketed infant as part of the family. Possibly they were too busy to get a new family photo shoot lined up, but now with campaigning in the final throws maybe the picture will be completed.

5 comments:

Fireweed said...

The baby was there during the entire speech this morning, the eldest daughter was holding him. There were several photos this morning with him in them, I think he's so new that there are just not as many pics with him yet.
I concur with your thoughts on a breakthrough nomination, some people just don't like really smart surprises. The hotness factor doesn't hurt either......

Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT post. Even with my extreme ADD, I made it through most of the words, even the big ones.

Art Vandelay said...

Well written. Excellent post!

devilsclub said...

;) Ah, I missed the speech, working all day, good thing for DVRs. All the pics were probably from a year ago.

Thanks all for reading!

kodiakgriff said...

Great post! I have to wonder one thing after reading her reply to questions about family and political duties. She commented that she knows about multi-tasking. That would lead me to believe that she believes her life is balanced between both careers. So why not add more things to the plate?
I wonder what the answers would be if some intrepid reporter got a chance to talk to the little Palin's without their handlers around.
Peace
Griff