Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Alternative Fuel would make a great band name.

Strange Brew 8/4


Faced with the option of losing my Blockbuster funds budget to the family fuel guzzler, yet again... or ride my mountain bike in the rain, what shall I do? Since I am inherently lazy and only equip for fairweather cycling, I opt car. It is a hungry little piggy too, seems every other day I'm at Petro-Express giving it a good drag off the nozzle.

This gets me to thinking about Alternative Fuel for automobiles. Biodiesel, Ethanol, Propane, Hydrogen, and Natural Gas are the hopefuls in the running. The gov has an interesting site here. Aside from the fact that few of the options are cheaper than regular petroleum (or remotely feasible for Alaska transportation), I doubt availablity will reach this island any time soon.

Sure I could have bought a hybrid, if I had waited another year to purchase the new car, but somehow I doubt in the five minutes it takes to get anywhere the battery would ever get charged, and I'd be running on fuel the whole time.

So it brings me back to the lack of personal choice I have in the matter... feed the beast, or deplete the o-zone with carbon emissions created by me breathing heavily on the front steps of my destination. Or better yet, not go anywhere. Yeah.




1 comment:

Art Vandelay said...

I never realized it but you're right. If you own a hybrid in Kodiak and since it does take only 5 minutes to get to anywhere you are just using fuel. Never thought of that. Good point.