Thursday, August 14, 2008

School... already?

But summer just started - and I was just getting used to not having those $400 per month fuel bills!

Game plan was to install a Toyo in our downstairs area and trim the consumption significantly down, but, as procrastination looms above me like a Sim's diamond, it hasn't even been purchased. Due to a boiler malfunction for the lower zone valve... last winter we existed with supplemental electric heat, which curiously was cheaper than fuel. Cheaper yes, but the "turn the lights off when you leave the room" that was drilled into my head by School House Rock-like commercials makes me feel wasteful for wantonly spinning the meter.

So I've been brainstorming... solar panels are a little spendy, and of course as we are not the land of many sun... wind energy would be optimal. It is only 500 bucks for a personal turbine, plus battery, plus mounting, plus shipping. Definitely a question for borough zoning laws, but it would be feasible for at least supplemental electricity. A family here had a real windmill here in the early 80s. It towered over their house on Spruce Cape road, although I have no idea how many kws it output, or what it actually did aside from spin and look pretty.

Pipe dream, I guess I'll go shop Spenard's for a Toyo, as I wonder why we don't have the option to go natural gas.

2 comments:

Art Vandelay said...

You know I'm starting to hear more and more about those electric heath pumps being cheaper than fuel. I think Alpha appliance repair is doing them.

devilsclub said...

I'll have to check that out... the slight tree-hugger in me is far to weary to bother chopping wood...which was my next step.