Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Reason free from passion

I got sucked into a Law & Order rerun, not so much watching it but contemplating the premise of passion. Part of my nature is to try to remember to look at things diversely, to accept that there can be multiple truths, and often there just isn't a right answer. Yes'm that thought is a bit profound to be pulling out of a court drama, but, all the good seasons ended and it was that or "So you want to be a crappy reality TV star stranded on an island"?

Being too fractured on the whole opinion issue puts me at odds with embracing any particular facet of religion, politics, or unending bureaucracy. (Although, I do have a slight leaning on the side of lame regarding Scientology-mostly because I couldn't accept Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt after that whole 'you're being glib' diatribe. Way to ruin a perfectly cool movie.) Unless there is a path of obvious choice, what drives one down one route or another other than passion?

It is another one of those words that can be contained in too many sentences, landing in cliche-ja-vu, because I've already written this before, or read it... multiple times. (I'm thinking this is why I don't post very often, there is so much information rattling around that it is starting to feel like it has all been said before.) But the fact that passion keeps calling attention to itself, must mean that part of life needs some tweaking into shape.

So, how to do that? Guess thinking of a few inspirational people and strolling back through history's heroes get me by for now. I'm thinking of the passion of the inventors and creators of the technology that I so embrace and admonish, the passion of our forefathers ditching the U.K. to homestead in freedom, the soldiers and men of honor who serve and protect, hand in hand with the takers-on of causes. They all have in common a certainty, a drive toward the direction that in hindside seems so obvious, but must have taken a thousand upstream moments.

This makes me think of impossible New Year's resolutions, and incomprehensively unattainable goals. That, and the ultimate question, "So, how do you eat an entire cow?". My answer: one bite at a time, as long as you aren't vegetarian or allergic to beef, or a cannabalistic cow, then I guess you'll have to get someone else to eat the cow for you, or compost it, since it is already dead - and isn't that the goal to have some good come out of it - even if it is just some really fertilized radishes?

I guess I do have a passion... for nonsense.

No comments: