Thursday, July 24, 2008

Who was Carl Coon? The answer...


Picture snagged from the KoKon.

I thought I had the answer to Kodiak Konfidential's query the other day about who Coon Field was named after. But, thinking about it, I wasn't certain whether I was meshing stories that were drilled into us as children warning of dangerous places to play in Kodiak. I thought it was the ice, as there have been a few that fell through in Lilly Lake. I was off a bit, but it was based on another parental warning I've personally had my butt smacked for getting too close to.

Out of extreme curiousity, I had to ask one of our esteemed pioneers. She tells me that Carl Coon was the adopted son of Louise and Merrill Coon. Merrill Coon owned a fuel company, was the president of the Chamber of Commerce and apparently the Mayor for a bit in the late 50s-early 60s. Carl died in an accident, falling off of a cliff at Fort Abercrombie. She said he must have played ball in that field, as it was named for him fairly early.

So there is your answer and my curiosity is quenched.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Want to know more about Carl,Merrill or Louise. I can tell you lots. I am the younger adopted son of Merrill and Louise. My name is Chuck Shaw. (formerly Corky Coon.

Unknown said...

i was a friend of corky coon in the 60s. he moved to california. i have been searching for him for years.